Don’t underestimate the humble cardboard moving boxes.
Suitable packing into sturdy moving boxes will not only help ensure your household effects reach their new location undamaged, but will also help ensure your move is completed efficiently – thus saving time completing the move, and ultimately saving you money!
Cardboard moving boxes can be sourced from lots of places. Do be mindful though of using single walled boxes (which have only a single layer of corrugation). These are flimsy, and will not withstand being stacked without crushing. Boxes should have a double wall (a twin layer of corrugation) for strength. Boxes from the supermarket are generally not suitable – they do not have strength, and are of mixed and varying sizes, making the job of loading into the truck more difficult. With the exception of banana boxes… these are great, with good strength and carry handles. Just ensure they have a lid, and have nothing protruding through the top.
When packing standard removal boxes, ensure you tape both the bottom and top closed. Don’t overfill boxes to bulging – this weakens the box and will lead to damage of the contents.
The Smooth Mover sells either new or used quality boxes (plus wrapping paper, tape & transit/bubble wrap), and we offer to buy boxes back for a 30% refund once you’ve moved and unpacked! This means you get some money back, and we’re able to put them to reuse.
You’re very welcome to collect from us in Albany. Or we may be able to deliver to you for no extra charge (subject to minimum order quantity and location).
Feel free to drop into our storage facility at 11 Tarndale Grove, Albany at any time during our normal opening hours of 8.30am till 5pm Monday to Friday, or 8.30am till 1pm on Saturday. We have EFTPOS available onsite, or can simply add boxes and other materials to your moving bill (if you’re booked to move with us).
To make it more efficient you are welcome to call and place an order so we can have the moving boxes ready and waiting when you arrive.
Below are some useful tips for when to book your furniture removal with The Smooth Mover.
BOOKING YOUR FURNITURE REMOVAL
Contact us, as soon as you have a settlement, rental move or new build completion date. You are welcome to contact us before this for our rates.
If you are planning a move around a public holiday make sure you get in quick! as the week prior to or following a long weekend tend to get booked up pretty fast.
Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays are high demand days for the moving industry, so book well in advance if you require one of these days.
If you do have a choice of moving dates, or you haven’t yet set a date for your settlement move, opt for a Monday to Wednesday. The Smooth Mover offers discounted rates for these days. It will also be easier to get your move booked.
If you have a last minute move, please check with us, on occasion we do have clients postpone their moves so spaces do come available at short notice.
ESTIMATING THE QUANTITY OF YOUR FURNITURE REMOVAL
In most cases your move will be before or after another move (unless your move requires a whole day). When booking please tell us as much about your move as you can, such as
- Indicative quantity of goods to be moved (if you are moving house, the number of bedrooms, lounges, study, rumpus is a good indicator). Don’t forget garage, extra storage areas and outdoor items.
- Any special/difficult items (eg. piano, side-by-side fridge, trampoline, antiques, spa, lots of pot plants).
- Access difficulties at either property (are there are lots of stairs involved, a lengthy walk from the property to the truck parking space, or is there a particularly steep, narrow or winding driveway?)
Informing us of these things in advance will ensure we are fully prepared for your move, and schedule sufficient time to complete your move without delaying our subsequent customers.
DURATION OF A FURNITURE REMOVAL
There are many variables that can affect the time it takes to move your home.
- Level of preparedness – the more prepared you the are the faster the whole move will be.
- Weather – wet weather can slow a move, care of your items and our staff are paramount.
- Access conditions – difficult access can add time to the move especially if the items need to be walked a distance to the truck.
- Number of Men – different sized homes require different number of men. Read more about our Third Man.