Hi all, here are some great storage packing tips if you are planning on storing your household items, these tips will maximise your space and prevent damage to your belongings.
A lot of these tips are used by the Smooth Mover as standard practices and also from personal experience of storing household items.
- Make sure that all your white linen, clothes etc are washed before storing. After a period of time any trace of sweat or grease will turn your whites yellow.
- Use sturdy boxes so they can be stacked on top of each to maximise the height of the storage unit.
- If you are storing wine, check out storage facilities that offer climate control.
- Make sure that you number all your boxes and keep an inventory of what is in those boxes, you may need to find something whilst everything is in storage. When you move to your new place an inventory will help in telling our guys where each box needs to go.
- Don’t cover furniture with plastic, this can lead to condensation and mildew issues.
- Remove petrol from lawnmowers and clean all your garden implements.
- If able pack all your electronic equipment such as computers, tv, stereo’s in their original packing.
- Roll your rugs rather than fold, folding may cause permanent damage to the pile.
- You can not store food, pot plans and hazardous materials in storage lockers for obvious reasons.
- Hazardous materials include: Gas bottles, paint thinners, petrol and cleaning fluids.
- Leave your fridge doors open, if closed you will have mold issues.
- Disassemble furniture to save space.
Above all remember “If it fits in a box, put it in a box”
If you are stuck on where to start for your storage needs please contact us via our website or phone 09 415 4222 for our unit sizes and prices.