Are you trying to decide how many men you require for your move? while still keeping to your budget? Our advice is don’t forget about The Third Man, sometimes he can get quite lonely.
Yes, we can all agree that our two man rate is lower than our three man rate, but is two always better than three when you are trying to save some $$?
The truth is that three men working on your household or office removal can get your move completed 50% faster than with two men (or put another way you will have less overall hours than you would with two men).
It’s all in the co-ordination of the loading and unloading, fitting the furniture in like a giant jenga puzzle so that nothing moves or gets damaged during a trip and the basic truth is that three men can get this task done more efficiently than two. The extra man power is also great for those difficult or heavy items so they can manage more safely and efficiently.
The Smooth Mover are able to provide you with a recommendation of how many men you may require and allocate these men to your move based on the information that you provide to us. So please don’t under report how big your move really is, think about the third man, he is always there ready to help and in the end will reduce the overall cost of your move!.
To obtain a quote please contact The Smooth Mover on 0800363610 or submit an enquiry through our contact form, alternatively email us firstname.lastname@example.org
Packing Tips – Moving House
Our packing tips – moving house can save you hours in preparing your household items for your upcoming move. We will be adding to this list regularly so stay posted!
- Use good quality, strong boxes which can be stacked without crushing. Stationery shops sell boxes, but he quality is typically poor, with a ‘single wall’ which easily collapse. We can sell you good quality boxes and other materials, we also offer a buy back scheme once you are finished.
- Be wary of boxes obtained from the supermarket – they are typically not very strong, and of varying sizes (which makes packing the truck more difficult and can take more time) Having said that, banana boxes are great – very strong, and with a lid can be stacked easily.
- Make sure your boxes are not too heavy (should be readily lifted by one man). Pack books and heavy items in small boxes, and linen and lighter items in larger boxes.
- Always tape boxes closed bottom and top. Never ‘criss-cross’ boxes – especially on the bottom!
- Pack heavier items on the bottom of boxes
- Fill boxes, but without over-filling/bulging. Space left in boxes allows movement of contents and possible resulting damage.
- Wrap all fragile items in paper. Butchers paper (unprinted newspaper) is ideal as newspaper ink can mark/stain your possessions. You are able to purchase this from us if required.
- Make sure all boxes can closed properly and are sealed so the tops are flat. If you over-pack a box, you risk damaging your own property.
- Label all boxes with a permanent marker pen. Labels should include the room in which you want the box to end up, and a rough description of contents (including Fragile, if relevant) for example: Kitchen / crockery & plastics / Fragile, or Master bedroom / clothing.
- If using second hand boxes, ensure all previous labels are clearly crossed out to avoid confusion.
- Liquids (bottles/jars etc) must be kept upright – and clearly labelled with arrows upwards and “This End Up”
- Keep clothing in dresser drawers. Remove any fragile or heavy items
- Linen/clothing can be packed in STRONG rubbish bags
- We recommend boxing computer and stereo equipment, consider taking your monitor with you in the front seat of your car.
- Organise a chilly bin for your fridge items on the day of the move.
- Start packing early. Its a lengthy process. The more prepared you are, the quicker and more efficient your move will be – ultimately saving you money!
Tips for Moving House in the Rain
Now that we are moving toward winter and high winds and rain are becoming the norm, we thought it was a good idea to run through some tips for moving house in the rain or blustery wind, fingers crossed not both at once!
Have a read of the tips below, if you have some useful ideas that have worked for you in the past please feel free to pass them on, email us email@example.com
Keep Track of Weather Reports
Be sure to check out the weather forecast for your up coming move. The Metservice provides great information on rain levels, wind and temperate. You are also able to check out the weather 10 days in advance.
Protect your Belongings
Whether it is raining or sunny make sure that you have used quality boxes, poor quality boxes can crush under the weight of other boxes stacked on top of them or start to crumple with a sprinkle of rain . The Smooth Movers box range are double walled, which provide you with a lot more durability.
Seal all boxes up with tape, folding the top of the boxes is just not enough to guard against the weather, the boxes also can’t be stacked effectively (rain or shine) in the truck taking up valuable space for the rest of your household items.
Schedules can be delayed due to gales or rain. Its better for the truck to be slower so that it, the movers and your belongings arrive safe and sound.
Protect your Home
Protect your home with old carpets or towels, move all the manageable items into one or two rooms closest to the door, this prevents water being tracked inside. Consider using old sheets at the entrance especially if you have tiles or wooden floors, this will prevent them becoming slippery, making it a safer move for all.
New Furniture Removal Truck – Auckland
Our first 29cbm new build truck ‘Huey’ is just about ready to roll. The second 38cbm truck ‘Dewey’ is around three weeks away, joining our existing 38cbm truck ‘Louie’. And rounding out the fleet is our trusty 18cbm truck, which is well suited to Auckland’s super tight driveways.
All of us here at The Smooth Mover are very excited, Build number one of the new furniture moving truck – Auckland is well underway. 30 cubic metre box structure complete, and Zepro two tonne tail lift about to be added. The sides are now on with the truck heading off to the sign writers tomorrow, which means it will be hitting the Auckland streets soon!
Build Number Two
Our build number two will be ready early May and will be another 38 cubic truck to handle or help even the largest of home moves. To make a booking with The Smooth Mover and perhaps one of these nice shiny new trucks call us on 0800363610 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org, alternatively fill out our contact form.
What to do on your moving day, time saved equals money saved !. Once again we will be adding to this list, we would like to include customer experiences such as what they found hard prior to our arrival or tips that they may want to share with others. Email us your suggestions
What to do on your moving day
- Have a good breakfast!
- Ensure that your driveway is clear of vehicles prior to our truck and staff arriving. If you share a driveway make sure that your neighbours are notified well before your move day.
- Either take your pets to kennels or friends, or ensure they are in a locked room during the removal.
- Be on hand when The Smooth Mover arrives, and throughout both the loading and unloading process. If you can’t be there, make sure someone ca be there to direct the movers – or otherwise leave clear instructions.
- Disconnect your washing machine (though we can do this for you if you don’t know how)
- Fridges generally need to be emptied into chilly bins of all but lettuce and light/non-fragile items. they will be tipped backwards diagonally for carrying. Freezers ideally need to be emptied – though can often remain full, subject to weight and access – it may be required to remove baskets and replace in the truck, repeating at unload address.
- Identify items that you will not be taking with you to our staff when they arrive.
- Identify your ‘last minute box’ to our staff who will pack this last.
- If you are moving from a storage unit we will need to meet you there. Please bring access codes and keys. If you prefer we can empty on your behalf. These could be left with the storage facility or ideally dropped or posted to us in Albany.
- Either take your pets to kennels or friends, or ensure they are in a locked room during the removal.
- If you have time to do so, dismantle your bed(s) in advance of the move (but no problem if you can’t – we always come fully equipped with tools).
- Wherever possible, make sure plant pots and holders are drained of excess water. Plants cannot be stored in storage units, so may need to go elsewhere.
- Once the load has been completed, make a final tour of your home. See that nothing has been overlooked.
Preparing for a furniture removal ?
Our guide can save you hours in preparing for your home for your upcoming move. We will be adding to this list regularly so stay posted!
- Packing home contents can be very time consuming (especially the kitchen ), so start early, packing as much as you can. Leave out only the minimum amount of crockery etc that you can get by with, and pack the rest.
- If you have enough notice before moving it is great to get the job done in a stress free way by packing 2 or 3 boxes a day/night so there is not rushing and panicking the week before your move. The Smooth Mover will assist with small packs in conjunction with your furniture removal, so please ask when booking your move. Alternatively consider employing the help of professional packers such as The Finishing Touch for your full home pack.
- Keep entrances clear of boxes. Try stacking into corners of each room, or have one bedroom reserved for all packed boxes, alternatively use your garage. This will ultimately save you money if all your boxes are located in one area.
- Take pictures and mirrors down, wrap and put them all in one place.
- Remove headboards
- Sell, give away, and dump anything that you no longer need or want. Moving is the ideal time to have a clearout! We may be able to sell furniture items on your behalf – either at reputable second hand furniture shops or via the Trade Me website. Storage is available for this service, if required.
- Clean as you go, as rooms or cupboards are emptied.
- As you pack, it’s great if you can create a pile in the garage or similar area on the ground floor. This keeps your house uncluttered while you pack, and saves time during your move!
- Keep ‘last minute’ things and other essentials (kettle, tea, coffee, snacks, medication, cleaning supplies etc) out and pack them last. This box should also be loaded on the truck last or taken by car ready to come off first at your new property.
- If disassembling furniture, tape screws, bolts, bed legs and other loose items to the underside of the furniture or place in the drawers of furniture items destined for the same room at your new property. Make sure you bag screws etc first.
- Disconnect your TV, check with your provider (eg Sky) for reconnection.
- Have a good idea of where you want your furniture placed in the new property. It can be handy to make a sketch of the floor plan of your new home to determine the placement of furnishings.
Moving house? What your moving Company needs to know
What we The Smooth Mover as your moving company need to know from you to ensure a smooth move! This information is over and above the basic information such as location and quantity. The more we know the better we can prepare our staff and vehicles to ensure that your household removal is undertaken as effectively as possible.
- What is the access to both locations like? Steep, flat, overhanging trees, Multiple steps to the address?
- Is the old and new location a single or double story?
- Do you have any unusually large or difficult items such as spa pools, pianos, side by side fridges, large outdoor furniture, trampoline or pot plants, these items may require more men or truck space.
- Is your move a Settlement move? This can effect timings as delivery of your items to your new location is dependent on the time of day your settlement takes place.
For moves outside Auckland we do require a 50% deposit before your move date.
Notify The Smooth Mover as soon as possible if any details regarding your move change – for example the quantity of goods to be moved, destination, dates, settlement times, etc. Contact us on 0800363610 or email@example.com